From: Charles Webber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 6:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how to test the website scalability

Mercury Interactive LoadRunner is probably the most comprehensive tool, but
there are others.  Radview (www.radview.com) has a tool called webload, that
does a fairly good job of this as well.
Depends on what kind of load test you require as well.  If you just want to
simulate a couple hudred virtual clients, you don't need much hardware on
the load generation side of the network.  On the other hand, if you want
many thousand users, you might want to hire the test performed by one of the
companies listed, as they should have hardware capable of generating load.
You'll also need to figure out exactly what you want to test.  Do you want
to test the performance of the web server or the entire application and
database layers as well?  What kind of response time threshholds are
acceptable?  What kind of results do you need to get?  Do you need averages?
Do you need min/max response times?  Do you need server resource utilization
statistics, such as memory, CPU, system calls, other resources?
There's a ton of things you need to consider when doing one of these tests,
and just a little of the benefit of my somewhat limited experience.