On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, chris brown wrote:

> I imported java.io.* ...
did that fix it?

> But if I import explicitly java.io.IOException, it might cause unqualified
> references to the Tomcat IOException class to become mixed up too !
I dont think there is a tomcat IOException... the compiler was looking for
that class because it was compiling a servlet that referenced a class
IOException - which wasn't imported

> I agree that it's good practice to import each class individually using
> fully-qualified names.  However (IMHO), the Tomcat development team ought to
> have imported any internal implementation classes  explicitly where there's
> a risk of namespace collision with very common classes.
big diff between jsp and code though... 110% in code you should never
(unless you absolutely have to - org.w3c.dom.Document and
org.jdom.Document a good example where you do have to) have package names
in code, they should always be explicit imports...  IMHO (o:

> It would have been better still if the fully-qualified names class names
> were used directly in the code for Tomcat, with no imports whatsoever --
> because if both the internal Tomcat classes and other classes with the same
> names are ALL imported explicitly, there's still as much potential for
> confusion.
the servlet code generated by jasper only imports the servlet and jsp
packages and the jasper packages.... perhaps even the jasper packages
shouldn't be imported, but hey...

I assume though that this fixed it?

cheesr
dim