We have also witnessed less than perfect load balancing by
mod_jk using tomcat-3.2.3.  We have four tomcats that we
are load-balancing across and the first one seems to always
get more sessions, with the second, third and fourth each
have somewhat fewer than the previous one.  For example,
right now the first has 139 sessions, the second 73, third
66 and fourth 52.

My guess is that it has something to do with the round-robin
load balancing scheme and the multiple copies of apache httpd
that are running...perhaps each time a new httpd is forked it
starts the round-robin rotation over at server #1, and maybe
somehow new session requests tend to be handled by an httpd
that has just forked?

Anyway, when we used JServ in the same hardware configuration
we saw much more even load balancing of sessions.  It makes
sense (to me) that a random server selection like mod_jserv
uses would work better when you have multiple unsynchronized
selectors than a round-robin scheme.

-Don