I've learned that you can use  "-Xms128m -Xmx256m" (The "java" command line
option) which means the heap will start at 128m and
grow to 256m
If you haven't done so, It would be best testing your app first (use
verboseGC)
to check the memory usage and then setting both parameters to the same no.

I got the following lines from one of the emails which you may find useful:

...To set this, you can establish an environment variable
named TOMCAT_OPTS (Tomcat 3.x) that contains
the command line options to be sent to the JVM.  For example:

  export TOMCAT_OPTS="-Xmx256m"
  $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh start

HTH.

:~)