Info on how SSL works is off topic here and there are some very good papers
on the net on the subject.  I did a short search with Google (search terms:
SSL encryption protocol) and found a reasonable intro paper from Netsape on
the subject.  It's at least enough to get your feet wet.

As far as Tomcat is concerned, I use 4.0.1 and can't authoratatively give you
an answer on the level of SSL encription supported by 3.2.3.  The docs should
say so somewhere.  I would suggest using the latest stable JDK (not JRE) and
downloading the latest version of JSSE from Sun since it does not come with
JDK 1.3.x.  I believe server.xml has instructions on generating a self signed
cert for Tomcat as well.