> Hello,
>
>    I've been able to run tomcat on multiple NT platforms without
> any problems, however, when I run the startup.sh on a Compaq tru64
> version 5.1 box, it won't execute the bootstrap start.  The log
> file just says:
> usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ]
>  -debug ] [ -nonaming ] { start | stop }

For "reasons unknown" (taken from "Aliens", the movie), catalina.sh, which is called
by startup.sh, doesn't include "-config <path>" option present when starting up the
Tomcat. Or shutting it down, for that matter. I added it manually to catalina.sh and
all was well.

> when I directly tried to execute the above usage command I get:
> org/apache/catalina/startup/Catalina

Don't do that, you need to setup the entire classpath, which is a labor...

> I found the .jar file with the Catalina.class file and put that in a
> CLASS_PATH variable,
> and even tried modifying the catalina.sh script to use that CLASS_PATH in
> addition to $CP that
> it sets, and I still get the same results.
>
> My JAVA_HOME for Java 1.3 is set to:
> /usr/opt/java130
>
> I tried everything under root as well, with the same results.

Since this is a "generic" binary distribution we're talking about, I don't understand
why nobody else is complaining - just you and me. I can understand the need for config
being independant of the startup script or at least catalina.sh, but where are we
supposed to put it then? Why isn't there a built-in default
${CATALINA_BASE}/config/server.xml, while still allowing the user to set a different
one, if needed.

BTW, I too am running Digital UNIX, version 4.0D

Nix.