My experience with poolman.jar and TC 4 suggests you put the poolman.xml file
in the classes folder under $CATALINA_HOME.  Actually how I did it since I
disliked having poolman.xml sitting in the classes folder was to put in the
conf folder and sym link to it from the classes folder.  That way it sits
where I think it belongs and poolman.jar still sees it.  The sym link idea
may not work if you're on a different platform (ie Windows) though.

--David Smith