----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Kilbride" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: LinkageError running 4.0.1 on IBM 1.3.0 VM

> Hi Robin,
>
> I'm using the IBM JDK on Linux (RH7.1 w/2.4.14 kernel) with TC 4.0.1
without
> any problems. The only difference I can see from your setup is that my
> JAVA_HOME variable points to the toplevel of the IBM directory structure:
>
> /usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13
>
> not
>
> /usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13/jre

Yes I tried this initially, but then the catalina.sh script couldn't find
the java executable because it's in jre/bin

> I get this output when I run startup.sh:
>
> -----------
> Using CLASSPATH:

/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/java/IBMJa
> va2-13/lib/tools.jar
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1
> Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/local/java/IBMJava2-13
> -----------
>
> Notice that the CLASSPATH contains the "tools.jar" file. On yours it
> doesn't. Don't know if this will make a difference or not, but I don't see
> anything else that's obvious.
>
> Thanks,
> --jeff

In the end, I set JAVA_HOME to /usr/local/IBMJava2-13/ and then hacked
catalina.sh so that it checks whether the executable is in bin or jre/bin.
That seems to have done the trick.  It's kind of odd that this was necessary
though.

Thanks for your help - you got me looking in the right place.

-Robin