To set the minimal time to live for a session, you can
use any of the following:

in web.xml:

<session-config>
  <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>    <!-- 30 minutes -->
</session-config>

In your JSP or servlet:

session.setMaxInactiveInterval(30);

P.S.: Remember that this is just the minimal age
for a session. It can last much longer, if there
is some user activity in the session. (The time
you can set, is just the minimal time between the
last action in a session and the end of the second)