I haven't had a chance to run your test case yet, but I suspect the cause
might be related to a feature allowed in a Servlet 2.3 environment.  From
Servlet 2.3, Section 9.7.2:

   "It is recommended also that the application class loader
    be implemented so that classes and resources packaged within
    the WAR are loaded in preference to classes and resources
    residing in container-wide library JARs."

Tomcat 4 implements this "SHOULD" feature, as will most other Servlet 2.3
implementations.  What it means is that, if you have a class
org.apache.soap.Foo in *both* the web app (under WEB-INF) and in the
shared "lib" directory, Tomcat 4 will load the version from WEB-INF.
Tomcat 3.2 loads the one from "lib" in this scenario.

Applications that intend to be portable across servlet versions need to
recognize this difference in order to operate correctly.  Of course,
you shouldn't have a problem if you only have the classes one place or the
other (and not both).

That being said, I will try your test case when I get a chance, to see if
there is anything else in the logs that might indicate a different
problem.

Craig