> If I direct the browser to http://localhost:8080/app1/images
> I'll have access to the contents of this directory.
> Is there a way to prevent this from happenning?

Include an absolute path reference and file in the default page list:

default.htm index.htm /other_stuff/sod_off.htm

This means that in the absence of a specified file, the server will look for
default.htm, then index.htm, then will go to /other_stuff/ and show the file
"sod_off.htm" which should say something like "We don't allow directory
listings here".

Justin.
--
You're only jealous cos the little penguins are talking to me.

For more information on Ordnance Survey products and services,
visit our web site at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk