Aside from the fact that my ears are ringing because you're shouting, I do
not agree with the recommendations you provide...
Moreover, the question was aimed to Tomcat 3.2.3....

Crippling the CLASSPATH with custom entries, as well as filling the
JRE/lib/ext directory does not sounds like a good idea.
It does not help when it is time to write install scripts and gather all the
librairies you are using to bundle an application, or a web-application, and
to deploy it.

The JDBC drivers, as all Jar files you are using (remember that ZIP files
can be renamed to JAR ! and you need to do this), should definitely sit in
the WEB-INF/lib directory, unless you want to share it among all web-apps,
in which case, the best place is probably TOMCAT_HOME/lib.

Tomcat 4.x has a better model for handling Jars and stuff, but as we're
dealing with Tomca 3.2.x, that's probably how you should do it....
You can customize Tomcat 3.2.x startup scripts and modify the internal
classpath, but you should avoid setting anything in your environment
variable....

Anyway, check the archives, this topic has already been discussed a lot I
think....

Cheers
Denis