On 12/5/01 9:12 AM, "Larry Isaacs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Geir,
>
> Concerning mod_rewrite, there was a lot of discussion about
> what mod_jk should do about the Servlet 2.2's requirement that
> HttpServletRequest.getRequestURI() return a URI that *remains*
> encoded.  So that it *remains* encoded, the mod_jk in Tomcat 3.2.3
> forwards the "unparsed" request to Tomcat.  This prevents
> mod_rewrite from having an effect since it modifies the
> "parsed" request.
>
> To bring mod_rewrite back online, mod_jk in Tomcat 3.2.4
> forwards a re-encoded version of the "parsed" request
> (sacrificing "remains" in favor of functionality).
>
> In Tomcat 3.3, this is configurable, though this hasn't
> yet made it into the documentation. :(

Ah.  Thanks.

I punted on the whole idea, and between the tomcat config, the app and
JkMount, managed to get it all working perfectly.

So I am happy.

> In the mod_jk configuration file, you can set the following
> options to control which request is forwarded to Tomcat.
>
>   JkOptions ForwardURICompat+
>
> forwards the "parsed" URI as is.  Tomcat 3.3 will re-encode
> the request for getRequestURI().  This is the default
> behavior.
>
>   JkOptions ForwardURICompatUnparsed+
>
> forwards the "unparsed" URI and Tomcat 3.3 will return
> this string unmodified for getRequestURI().  This best
> matches the spec, but breaks mod_rewrite.  This matches
> Tomcat 3.2.3's mod_jk behavior.
>
>   JkOptions ForwardURIEscaped+
>
> forwards the re-encoded "parsed" URI and Tomcat 3.3 will
> return this string unmodified for getRequestUR().  This
> matches Tomcat 3.2.4's mod_jk behavior.
>
> I'll try to add some documentation concerning this in the
> Tomcat 3.3 release.

Thanks for the info.  I was going to offer to update the docs, but I think
you might be better able to explain.

Thanks again.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting