You still haven't indicated which version of Tomcat, so it
is hard to make specific recommendations.

For all 3.x and 4.x Tomcats, creating a subdirectory under
the "webapps" directory is the simplest way to bring a new
web application online.  Tomcat will automatically serve
these subdirectories without requiring config file changes.
You seem to have done this.

However, I can't tell much from "I don't even reach the point
where Tomcat itself is running my application".  What
error is reported when you try to run a servlet?  What do
you see in the log files?

Cheers,
Larry

P.S. If you are not familar with the Servlet specs, you
can download it from here:

<http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html>

Tomcat 3.x implements Servlet 2.2, Tomcat 4.x implements
Servlet 2.3.