Yes this must work without problems..

> I'm guessing that the new entry should go in a app-xxxxx.xml

Well , you can put it at several places:

.- in the server.xml file, with the syntax you name, and will serve as
global realm,

.- inside a context element( and thus possibly in apps-*.xml ) as
context particular realm , it's used in addition to the global one, if
the user it's not authenticated in the global realm,

hope that helps..

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega