The browser determine which port it will attempt to connect on by the
protocol portion of the URL.

If you type in something like:

        www.mydomain.com

the browser will default to port 80 and will procede in making a
connection to the remote server on the port. Because you did not specify
a protocol, it assumes you mean http

If you type something like this:

        http://www.mydomain.com

the browser knows you mean the http protocol and proceeds to make the
connection. You can override the default behavior of course with a
request like this:

        http://www.mydomain.com:81

this will obviously direct you to port 81 on the remote server. This
same set of rules apply to other protocols as well:

        https:// -> 443
        ftp:// -> 21

Unless you specify an alternate port number the browser will choose the
defaults for the specified protocol.

This problem sounds more like it is in the "router". Is this a router or
is it some kind of firewall doing port forwarding. My first suggestion
would be to start looking at your logs on all three machine (router,
http server, https server) and try to figure out where these https
packets are going. A sniffer may help here as well.

If you need to do a redirect from the http server to the https server,
you can do something like this:

<head>
<title>Redirecting to Secure Server...</title>
</head>

You can also look at some of the redirect techniques for apache at there
web page.

HTH

Denny