Hi Donald,

I also build my tomcat from RPM's, also hat no startup or other .sh's.

I got the scripts from the cvs tree but found out later that I don't
need them. On redhat 7.1 I can start and stop with 'service tomcat4
start' and 'service tomcat4 stop'.

I suppose the .conf file is used for setting JAVA_HOME etc.

the rpm's worked (and works) for me , althoug I have to go localhost:8180

HTH

Regards,

Gerrit