For Tomcat 3.3, I'm not sure why the simple installation
isn't working.  Unfortunately there are some types of
configuration errors that silently cause problems.  For
example, if the modules.xml isn't found, Tomcat 3.3 still
comes up without reporting any errors but won't function
because it ignored most of the server.xml file.  However,
in this case you don't see the same log output as a
properly functioning Tomcat.

Is Tomcat 3.3's log output the same between the installations
on server1 and server2?

Add a path="<file>" setting to the "tc_log" in server.xml if
you want to capture this log in a file, or redirect stderr
on the startup command.

Cheers,
Larry