Rick:

There is no need to restart Tomcat just update the
data stored in your bean.

You could provide a jsp or servlet that maps the input
parameter names / values to setter methods in your
application bean. Then your external process simply
needs to send a URL GET (or POST) request with
the new data.

Alternatively, you could write a class that implements
ServletContextListener and that also implements Runnable.
This class could start itself in a new thread in the
contextInitialized() method. The run() method could wake
up every now and then and go and get the 'updated' data
you need, then update your Application scope bean.
Don't forget to provide the means to stop your thread in
the contextDestroyed() method.

The 2.3 Servlet spec features really provide elegant
ways of solving many of the problems that required
container specific hacks in earlier spec versions.

Good Luck

Tom Drake