Ok, if anybody can explain in plain english why this is the way it is.
while trying to download and install a servlet and being very unsuccessful,
I started investigating the example servlets.  I went to the simplest one
called HelloWorldExample.
It appears to be working, when I look in the browser address it's set to
http://lnxwebsvr:8080/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample.
when I look at my directory structure.
/var/tomcat4/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/HelloWorldExample.class
where is it defined in tomcat that "servlet" is to replace the actual path
"WEB-INF/classes"?
I think this may be related to why my newly installed servlet will not run.
Thanks