Oli,

My problem (encodeURL bug) is related.  If *all* you care about is
getting the hostname corrected and if you're not worried about
changing ports, then I believe switching from mod_webapp to mod_jk
will solve your problem.

It is fairly easy to get mod_jk working under tomcat 3.x --
and then you can copy/edit the configuration files
over to your tomcat 4.x configuration and add the connector
into servlet.xml

-Nick