We are using Tomcat as a basis for a distributed application (in some
research project). And we would like the user to simply install Tomcat
out of the box, give us access to the Tomcat manager, and let us do the
rest. Therefore, we are stuck to whatever Tomcat provides plus our Java
code (the native libraries, we use, come from some third-party
provider).

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> Adding a new JAR file to the "lib" directory after Tomcat has been started
> won't do any good -- the class loader got constructed at startup time
> based on the contents of the "lib" directory then.  You will need to
> ensure that your startup order copies the JAR files *before* starting
> Tomcat -- or else, you'll need to restart Tomcat after copying.

Since we do remote installation of all the files, we need Tomcat be
running before installation. And, we are not able to remotely restart
Tomcat so that the external user (of the remote machine) would be forced
to restart Tomcat. This would be quite uncomfortably, unfortunately.

Couldn't the class loader just rescan the shared library directories
when a new web app becomes started? Would be very handy!

Again: the possibility to remotely trigger a Tomcat restart would be the
preferred solution. I already noticed some need for this feature here.
Are there any plans do do this?

Best regards and thanks for your excellent work,

Hans