See inline below..

> We've been running Apache 1.3.12 and Tomcat (3.2.3 and 4.0.1), to
> service servlet content. We are using Sun's JDK 1.3.0_02 on Linux
> (RedHat). We are finding that the site runs reasonably well
> but we see that the number of JDK processes rises over a period
> of time and when it reaches over 120, it tends to lock up Apache
> - at which point we have to restart the whole site.

These are not processes, but threads btw.
You should have a look in the server.xml file and at your httpd.conf to see
if it is similar like this :
(maxTheads should be the same as the apache threads)

        <Ajp13Connector port="8009"
                           maxThreads="150"
                           maxSpareThreads="50"
                           minSpareThreads="10" />

(thanx Henri..)

Advice is anyway  to run jdk13 instead of the ajp12 you specified.

> On Tomcat 3.2.3, we used the AJP12 connector and used the
> parameters for the minimum and maximum spare servers - all to no
> effect. With Tomcat 4.0.1, we are using the mod_webapp connector
> but I'm not sure whether there are similar parameters, the page
> at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/warp.html
> isn't finished.Can anyone tell me whether there are similar
> parameters ?

Hmm.. don't know if it has these parameters, but the cvs version of
mod_webapp automatically tries to "deploy" an webapp when it is not
available directly after startup (which means : you can start apache after
tomcat or restart tomcat any time you like).

> The site gets about 250,000 to 300,000 hits per day (most of
> which just goes through Apache) and about 15000 requests of the
> various servlets. Is there  anything we can do to limit the way that the
> JVM/ JDK processes rise ? Is there anything in the servlets which
> might be causing this ?

Your session timeout is probably 30 minutes. As far as I know, every session
has is thread.. So that might explain the high number of threads..

Mvgr,
Martin