System - Tomcat 4. I have setup form based authentication using a JDBC
realm. The authentication works fine. When a user types a URL for a
protected servlet, they are redirected to a login.jsp that is in an
unprotected area of the webapp. After authentication, it returns to the
servet for processing. Ok, fine.

Then, I decided to add a banner to my login page so it would look like all
the other servlet and jsp generated pages in the webapp. No matter what I
do, the image will not display on the login page. I have tried every path
name that I can think of, and tested paths that I know work that are on
regular (not login) jsp pages.

The funny thing is - when I have an image tag on the login page, the image
doesn't show up when the page is first loaded (there is a broken image
indicator is on the page) - BUT - after I type the name and password, then
submit, the browser then shows that image, and no longer goes back to the
servlet!

So, obviously, the image is being protected from loading until
authentication has taken place. However, the image is NOT in a protected
area of the webapp. I tried it in the root directory of the webapp, and in
a non protected subdirectory - no luck.
Certainly there is a way around this. Anyone have ideas? I thought the
whole basis for form based authentication was so that the designers could
have their own design on the login page...

Paul Phillips