David Hewlett wrote:

> This is my first attempt at Tomcat. I know other people succeeded directly
> with with the standalone version - however it doesn't seem to fire up on suse
> 7.3 kernel 2 4 13

Ever read RELEASE-NOTES-4.0.1.txt?
<snip>
-------------------------------
Linux and Sun JDK 1.2.x - 1.3.x:
-------------------------------

Virtual machine crashes can be experienced when using certain
combinations of
kernel / glibc under Linux with Sun Hotspot 1.2 to 1.3. The crashes were
reported to occur mostly on startup. Sun JDK 1.4 does not exhibit the
problems,
and neither does IBM JDK for Linux.

The problems can be fixed by reducing the default stack size. At bash
shell,
do "ulimit -s 2048"; use "limit stacksize 2048" for tcsh.

GLIBC 2.2 / Linux 2.4 users should also define an environment variable:
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
</snip>

Regards,

Hans