I have the following code in my servlet, where 'out' is the
HttpServletResponse object.

  Runtime t = Runtime.getRuntime();

  try {

   Process proc = t.exec( "c:\\TaskInfo.exe" );

   out.write(" invoked " );

  } catch ( java.io.IOException ioe ) {

   out.write( ioe.toString() );

  }

What I'm getting is "invoked" in the browser window, but nothing visibly
happens on my local machine( ie. server). I was hoping TaskInfo would start
up. What I really want to do is open a file in notepad to tell me a visitor
has just arrived. Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether. Should I
generate an event and listen for it in another app running as a listener in
the background, or is there just no way of invoking a process on localhost
from a servlet.

Thanks.

If this is the wrong place to be asking these questions, please let me know.

--
cf