This is a part of some old RELEASE-NOTES right? Course mod_webapp
"is configured based on the contents of the  web.xml file for your web application"
since Tomcat 4 beta 7.

> Actually, I run a webapp under tomcat 3.2.3 and mod_jk that I mount as
> /feedback.
> I also use php pages in the folder /feedback/chat. All is ok with mod_jk
>
> I am now evaluating tomcat4 and mod_webapp. Mod_webapp configuration is
> REALLY excellent: I face many problems to run jetspeed with
> tomcat3, it runs
> at the first time on tomcat 4 ! BUT php pages do not run anymore: the
> mod_webapp reads the php3 files directly instead of letting mod_php manage
> them. This is normal: it is how the "default" servlet works if I well
> understand what Craig has said.

It seems that with equal configurations mod_jk should serve php3 the same way
as TC4 does, according to Craig's "the mod_jserv and mod_jk connectors have
worked this way for around five years"

> I have tried first to change the global web.xml to add the mime
> type for php
> but it was a bad idea. I also test the PHP Servlet SAPI, I still
> hang on it
> but it does not seem to be a good idea for me.

But it still looks like the <strong>right</strong> idea if you really
want phps inside your application.

> The very best solution, you will tell me is to put the php pages
> elsewhere.
> True but far less "portable" when I have to replace the server or
> to install
> another test server.
> Does the  jakarta-connectors's team plan include to correct this kind of
> mixt situation in some times or do I have to accept the idea to really
> separate PHP and Java ?

Maybe to suggest a new directive to mod_webapp? Something like
WebAppIgnore?

Anton.