What exactly do you want to do:
  - convert data to charts
  - generate grafics from Text in special fonts
  - draw grafics
  - manipulate images

For the last three you can have a look at JAI:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/index.html

(Quite complex, we use it to scale images on the server side,
 for that purpose it's like using canons to shoot sparrows,
 but it works)