I figured out my problem (and I'm ashamed to admit it on the list).

In my case, I wasn't checking the variable on the server at the right
point.  Tomcat was sending >64k just fine (I discovered after adding a
decent amount of debugging).  I happened to be putting the result in a
database column that was limited to 64k.  Hence the reason that I ran
into the problem that I did.

FYI, after some searching on the web, it appears that POSTs do NOT have
a built-in limit.  GETs are limited by what the browser and server
support..  But POSTs have no official limit.  (Only warning is that
they are 'inefficient' for large data, and that multipart forms are
suggested for that)

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:47:27PM +0100, Lars Andersen wrote:

> There is most likely such a limit in Tomcats webserver.
> I encountered the same in apache at 8192 bytes.
>
> Solved it by appending over multiple requests.
>

> >--
> >For additional commands: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Troubles with the list: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical Biophysics Group
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          3051 Beckman Institute
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/    University of Illinois
Phone: (217) 244-5711                405 N. Mathews Ave
Fax  : (217) 244-6078                Urbana, IL  61801, USA