This is what I found as necessary to make this work:

First of all you need
javamail-1.2 (of course) AND!
jaf-1.0.1

I expect you have these.

Next I found the following code snippet required, otherwise
I got the same error...

// using java mail
Properties props = System.getProperties();
props.put( "mail.smtp.host", pConfig.getConfig( "Mail.MailHost" ) );
props.put( "mail.transport.protocol", pConfig.getConfig( "Mail.Transport" )
);
javax.mail.Session mSession =
       javax.mail.Session.getDefaultInstance( props, null );

The key here is the "mail.transport.protocol". The providerexception is
referring to this if my memory serves me. You need to specify a transport
protocol, i.e. "smtp", for the session/provider and this is done through
the properties. My "smtp" retrieved from a config file.

This comment from Sun has a lot of value:
It is expected that the client supplies values for the properties listed in
Appendix A of the JavaMail spec (particularly mail.store.protocol,
mail.transport.protocol, mail.host, mail.user, and mail.from) as the
defaults are unlikely to work in all cases.

Good Luck
Tom