On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Knutsen Jeffrey S wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:36:42 -0600
> From: Knutsen Jeffrey S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Tomcat 4.0.1 with Servlet 2.2
>

> Our organization is new to Tomcat.  I am trying to decide between installing
> Tomcat 3.3.x and the newer Tomcat 4.0.1.  I would like to use the latest
> version, however due to portability (and mostly political) considerations
> within our environment I am only able to support the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
> specs at this time.
>
> Is it possible to install Tomcat 4.0.1, yet configure the server to only
> support the older spec levels?  If it is not configurable, would replacing
> the servlet.jar file with an older version (perhaps the one from Tomcat
> 3.3.x) work to accomplish this goal?  Would there be any other obvious
> ramifications to this action?  Am I missing any other obvious issues or
> alternatives?

One thing that might be an "obvious issue" is that Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2
containers are required, by the specifications, to support web
applications written to the Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 specification
requirements.  If you've written your application to those specs, and are
not relying on unspecified behavior (or bugs) in your container, then your
app will be perfectly portable.

Trying to do things like changing the servlet.jar file without changing
anything else is like trying to run diesel fuel through a car that has a
gasoline engine -- it's not going to work :-).

> Thank you very much.
>
> -- Jeff

Craig