--- Micael Padraig Og mac Grene
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Clear question: No
answers????

> The subject, supra, asks the question.  If you have
> a number of URLs
> pointed to a single IP address, can you map the URLs
> somehow to discrete
> web applications in Tomcat 4.0?
>
> I have read everything I know to read and cannot get
> the answer to this.  I
> know I could do it with JBoss and Tomcat 3.2.4 and
> the context
> manager.  But, I don't see that in Tomcat 4.0.
> What's up?
>
> Sure is hard to get a response to this question.
> Have no idea
> what.  Please don't tell me the stuff that is simple
> and covered like how
> to set up directories, etc.  I know how to handle
> aliases, how to handle
> multiple IP addresses on the same machine, etc.  My
> question is
> specific.  How can I get, e.g. www.aaaaa.com and
> www.bbbbb.com when they
> are pointed to a given IP address, 209.43.251.66
> (for example), to map to
> webapps/aaaaa and webapps/bbbbb?  Or, is this not
> now possible?
>
> Some people have suggested that, since I don't know
> the answer to this, I
> need to essentially take the classes I teach for
> fun.  Lord.  If only they
> could answer the question instead of loading me with
> pompous self-righteous
> drivel.  I do thank those who have tried.  I don't
> know where to look at
> this point.  I may just write the classes to do it.
>
> Micael

Hi Micael,

It is possible to setup Apache with the Warp connector
to map different host names to different webapps.

In my case I have a number of webapps available under
the ROOT context for an equal number of host names.

   http://xx-xx.mydomain.net  ->  webapps/xx-xx
   http://yy-yy.mydomain.net  ->  webapps/yy-yy
   http://zz-zz.mydomain.net  ->  webapps/zz-zz

(The setup you desire is a virtual host setup. I'll
restrict my advice to the Apache/Warp/TC setup but I
think you should reread
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html
if you want to omit Apache from your setup.)

Below are the relevant extracts from my httpd.conf and
server.xml files.

httpd.conf
----------

NameVirtualHost 194.164.98.233

<VirtualHost 194.164.98.233>

    ServerName eng.dev.studylink.com
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    WebAppConnection eng-cnx warp localhost:8008
    WebAppDeploy eng eng-cnx /

    ErrorLog /var/opt/apache/logs/eng.error_log
    CustomLog /var/opt/apache/logs/eng.access_log
common

</VirtualHost>

server.xml
----------

<Server
        port = "8005"
    shutdown = "SHUTDOWN"
       debug = "0">

  <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

     <Connector
      className =

"org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
              port = "8008"
     minProcessors = "5"
     maxProcessors = "75"
     enableLookups = "true"
       acceptCount = "10"
             debug = "1"/>

    <Engine
     className=
     "org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
            name = "Apache"
           debug = "0"
         appBase = "webapps"
     defaultHost = "delta.tudylink.com">

      <!--
           Global logger unless overridden
           at lower levels -->
      <Logger
       className=
       "org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
           prefix = "apache_log." suffix=".txt"
        timestamp = "true"/>

      <Realm
       className =
       "org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />

      <DefaultContext></DefaultContext>

    </Engine>

  </Service>

</Server>