- Tomcat is a servlet and jsp engine.
  So you don't need JServ to do servlets
  (it wasn't necessary for tomcat 3.* either)
- mod_jserv/mod_jk/mod_webapp are different
  generations of connectors that connect a webserver
  with tomcat.
- There are several reasons to use apache (or IIS)
  together with tomcat.
  (this reasons you can find in the archives)
  If this reasons don't apply to you, you can use tomcat
  standalone.
- How to connect tomcat 4.0 with mod_jk and mod_webapp
  has been dscussed in this list several times.