We are loosing about about 500 MB of memory on a 1 GB server after running
Apache/Tomcat on Linux for 24 hours.  (We are trying to fit within 512 MB.)
The strange thing is that after I shutdown Apache and Tomcat, the memory
only recovers about 100 MB.  vmstat still shows "Memory Cache" that takes up
about 348380 KB.

I would think that if the memory is in apache/tomcat, then the memory should
be recovered when I shut them down.  Is that right?  How could I get the
memory back from the "Memory Cache" without rebooting?

It's a web application with servlets, JSPs and static pages with Apache
1.3.22, Tomcat 3.2.4, RedHat Linux 7.1.  I tried Sun JDK 1.3.1 and IBM JDK
1.3.0 with same results.

Thank you for any help.

Joseph