I've found some behavior that seems wrong - can someone confirm that it is correct or
a known bug?

Specifically, using FORM login (with memory- or jdbc Realm), if I try to log into a
protected area with a user and password that exist, but don't have the correct role to
access the area, I get a 403:

"
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 403 - Access to the requested resource has been
denied
type Status report
message Access to the requested resource has been denied
description Access to the specified resource (Access to the requested resource has
been denied) has been forbidden.
"

Then, after that failure, when I try to login with a user with the correct role, I get
a 404:

"
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 404 - /jsp/security/j_security_check
type Status report
message /jsp/security/j_security_check
description The requested resource (/jsp/security/j_security_check) is not available.
"

In both of these cases, I had hoped to get the error page I had specified in
<form-error-page>, which I do get if I try to login with a user that does not exist.

Is this the correct behavior? It seems that if I try to login with a user with the
wrong role it 'breaks' the login for further attempts with a user with the correct
role.

Any insight would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
Chris