I've quickly read the howto and I'm not sure that I agree with everything! I
haven't defined a virtual host in httpd.conf and everything works fine. The
author also makes this curious statement:

<!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache
        "ServerName" is set to -->
  <!-- #####  This line changed.  name=set to correct
      host name. #####-->
   <Engine className=
       "org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
           name="apache.nandgate.com" debug="0"
               appBase="webapps">

I didn't think that it mattered what the "name" was set to. As I understand
it, the default server.xml file lacks a <host> inside the <engine> for the
Tomcat-Apache service - it should have a host. The "Replace "localhost" with
what your Apache "ServerName" is set to" refers to this, doesn't it? I.e.

Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to
  -->
- <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
name="Apache" defaultHost="whatever ServerName is set to in httpd.conf"
debug="0" appBase="webapps">

The howto has caused me to question my understanding rather than provide any
clarification! The author is right when he says that the documentation is
patchy and the TC-Apache integration process is more complex than it ought
to be.

Thanks,

John

Quote for the week:

Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what
happens to him.

Aldous Huxley, Texts and Pretexts , (1932) p. 5