Anja, I'm not sure, but I know that Tomcat 3.3 and later have a similar
behavior.

So the only thing you have to do is to create the apps-contextname.xml
file and put it on tomcat-path/conf  directory:

The xml file is like this:

<webapps>
    <Context path="/contextname"
            docBase="webapps/contextname"
            debug="0"
            reloadable="true" >
  </Context>
</webapps>

If you want to can check the apps-examples.xml file that gives you a hint
of this...:-)

Nancy.