What does your classpath look like when compiling?
   javac -classpath ? YourClass

-----Original Message-----
From: smashingwebs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JSP: Defining your own class

Hi All,
I am using tomcat for my jsp container. I have a book that
says that if I want to define my own class and constructor
I need to make it extend a class in org.apache.jasper.runtime.*;
called HttpJspBase. The problem is when I try to compile
it with jdk1.3.1 I get the message that this file doesn't exist.
I know it exists in the Tomcat lib under jasper.jar
But if I try to put that jar file into my jdk lib file...it
still wont find it.
Anybody have any ideas or any other way I can define my
own class and get jsp servlets to recognize it. I've tried
many different things from defining the class on the jsp
page to compiling the class  (without HttpJspBase) and
putting it all over the place in tomcat.