Yaaay!  Finally an answer!  Thanks Craig.  I knew that substituting jars
was not kosher, but I love to experiment.   The approach actually worked
6 months ago when I was experimenting with implementing mail on my TC
3.2 server.  I would "never,never,never" go to production with such a
hair brained scheme!   I thought I had seen somewhere that TC 4.0x was
J2EE 1.3, but could not "refind" that information.

I was aware I could get javamail and that there was some extension (must
be the one of which you speak) to use the mail tags in jakarta-taglib.
The link specified in the taglib docs was dead - I assumed that sun just
decided to wrap it all up into j2ee.

once again, many thanks.