From: Jim Urban [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 12:03 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Determining User Connection Speed

Our clients run our application on both the internet and intranet.  The
users who use the application on the intranet are usually on a 100MB (LAN)
network directly attached to the application server.  For these users the
application really hums.  For those on the internet, using 33kb or 58kb
dialup connections, the application is very slow downloading data.  We have
experimented with sending back the data compressed with mixed results.  That
is, the dialup users see a significant drop in download time while the
intranet (100MB LAN) users actually see a slow down in performance do to the
additional time needed to compress and uncompress the data.

If we could tell when a user is on a dialup (slow) connection we could
compress the data and not compressing it for those on a LAN connection.

Jim