From: Doug Fields [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 9:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Classes not being found in 4.0.2 but are found in 4.0.1 (and
what is LE?)

Hello all,

I tried to move to Tomcat 4.0.2-LE-jdk1.4 today from Tomcat 4.0.1 (both
running on the new JDK 1.4).

I have put several jar files in common/lib - including such standards as
the postgresql.jar and cos.jar.

Under 4.0.1, things work just fine. In 4.0.2 (LE-jdk1.4, which I assume is
what I should use if I use JDK1.4, but it doesn't say anywhere what the
differences are) I get a NoClassDefFoundError for some classes in one jar.
I tried moving it from common/lib into my webapps/APPNAME/WEB-INF/lib
directory, and an even worse thing happened: no classes whatsoever were
found in that jar.

When in WEB-INF/lib it is as if it isn't even being class loaded at all,
while in common/lib, some classes are loaded and others are not - the point
where the NoClassDefFoundError is thrown in common/lib is in one of the
classes in that .jar, while in WEB-INF/lib, it's in my classes, on the
first call to a class in that .jar.

The .jar has been run through an obfuscator (or so it seems from
decompiling it in trying to figure out what was going on), but works fine
on 4.0.1 under both JDK 1.4 and 1.3.1_02 under Linux.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also - does anyone know what the difference is between:

jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2-LE-jdk14.tar.gz
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2.tar.gz

A recursive diff showed many fewer files in the LE edition, presumably
because they are provided if you use JDK 1.4. (Lots of changes in the doc,
but that's from the dates in the javadocs being different, and lots of
changes in other .jars as well.)

Thanks,

Doug

[ If this is a repost, I apologize; I did not receive back a copy of my
initial posting after many hours and re-sent it. ]