>>>If you want to modify the state of the current request or session, you
>>>should really be looking at subclassing one of the existing Authenticator
>>>classes, instead of trying to do that in the Realm.
>>>

>The Authenticator is chosen based on which <login-method> you select.  One
>of the four Authenticator valves will be selected automatically, based on
>the mapping in the Authenticator.properties file in the
>o.a.c.authenticators package.

All the Authenticators (Form, Basic,Digest...) appear to be 'final' in
my catalina.jar archive (tomcat 4.0.1) making them not extendable.

I could subclass AuthenticatorBase, but would that mean my Authenticator
was unavailable in the o.a.c.startup.Authenticator.properties file ?

Does this mean I'll have to configure and rebuilt tomcat to use my
Authenticator?

-Mark Diggory