Big thanks to Eelco for fixing my problem!

-----Original Message-----
From: Eelco den Heijer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 4:18 PM
To: Paul Brown
Subject: Re: EdH: Newbie deployment problem

Hi Paul, direct mail is okay, no problem.

The exception suggests that the VM cannot load the specified
class; so either the jar can not be loaded, but your log suggests
otherwise, or the class is not in the jar, which is kinda odd
(it looks like a 3rd party Apache lib, so I assume you haven't
touched it). Anyway, it won't hurt to open the jar in WinZip
(or use jar -tvf <name>.jar) to peek inside the jar, to make
sure the class is in there. If so, the problem must be something
else.

Next, add a log file entry in server.xml. In the context def
of your web app add (add as child element of <Context> element):

                     prefix="localhost_messagelets." suffix=".txt"
                  timestamp="true"/>

Then restart Tomcat. Now you should have your own logfile for your
web app; it makes dev. slighly easier. Maybe there are specific errors
in here.

Another odd thing: what exactly is the name of your web app?
Is it messagelets or simplepublisherexample? If the latter,
put the jar in simplepublisherexample/WEB-INF/lib and restart TC.

Hope this helps :-)
Eelco

Paul Brown wrote:

> hi
>
> that exactly where i put it ...
>
> here's another segment of the log ...
>
> <---- snip ---->
>
> 2002-02-19 15:19:19 WebappLoader[/simplepublisherexample]: Deploy JAR
> /WEB-INF/lib/commons-JXPath-0.1-dev.jar to
> C:\JWSDP-~1\webapps\messagelets\WEB-INF\lib\commons-JXPath-0.1-dev.jar
> 2002-02-19 15:19:19 WebappLoader[/simplepublisherexample]: Deploy JAR
> /WEB-INF/lib/commons-beanutils.jar to
> C:\JWSDP-~1\webapps\messagelets\WEB-INF\lib\commons-beanutils.jar
> 2002-02-19 15:19:19 WebappLoader[/simplepublisherexample]: Deploy JAR
> /WEB-INF/lib/commons-digester.jar to
> C:\JWSDP-~1\webapps\messagelets\WEB-INF\lib\commons-digester.jar
> 2002-02-19 15:19:19 WebappLoader[/simplepublisherexample]: Deploy JAR
> /WEB-INF/lib/commons-messenger.jar to
> C:\JWSDP-~1\webapps\messagelets\WEB-INF\lib\commons-messenger.jar
> 2002-02-19 15:19:19 WebappLoader[/simplepublisherexample]: Deploy JAR
> /WEB-INF/lib/commons-modeler.jar to
> C:\JWSDP-~1\webapps\messagelets\WEB-INF\lib\commons-modeler.jar
>
> <---- snip ---->
>
> i also, put the messenger.war under tomcat_home\webapps\messagelets
>
> strange.
>
> i hope you dont mind the direct email. if you do, just say and i'll
keep
> it public :)
>
> thanks
> paul

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named
individual
and may not be disseminated without prior permission.  If you are not the named
addressee,
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail if you have received this message in error and delete this
e-message from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, delayed in transmission,
incomplete, or may contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for
any
errors or omissions in the contents of this Message which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.  If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message
is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a solicitation or
offer to buy or sell any software or services.