I'm baffled as to why the JSP page can compile successfully
yet get a NoClassDefFoundError when it is being loaded.
This would be the expected behavior if you compiled the
JSP, deleted kitabe/SearchUtilities.class, restarted
Catalina and accessed the page again.  I'm not aware
what it would take to get the same kind of error with
the class file present.

However, my first assumption would be that this is due to
something wrong or unique with SearchUtilities and not a
bug in Catalina.  In the absence of any better ideas, I
would try creating a new kitabe/SearchUtilities2.java with
the minimal class declaration and compile it.  Update the
test JSP page to reference SearchUtilities2 and try it out.
My assumption it that this would not show a problem (a
simple test case worked for me).  Next, start copying the
implementation in SearchUtilities over to SearchUtilities2
and compile and try again.  Hopefully at some point you
can isolate some code that causes the NoClassDefFoundError
to appear.  If the NoClassDefFoundError doesn't appear,
it would imply that there is something wrong with how
SearchUtilities was or is being built.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry