Hi all-  Does anyone know how to specify the default encoding for the JVM in
a linux environment?

I'm having difficulty with my servlets because the JVM on my system (sun
jdk1.3.1 on linux) is defaulting to us-ascii encoding instead of using
iso-8859-1.  I know I can override the encoding inside my code, but
according to the package description for java.lang, the JVM determines the
default encoding by looking at the OS.  I tried setting both LANG and
LC_CTYPE in my shell before launching catalina.sh, but I still couldn't get
the servlets to not default to US-ASCII.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Richard