Hello Michael,

Yesssssss, I just got it working this past evening!!!!!
I've been on it for a few days and have tried everything
I could think of.    =O

To install Tomcat 4.0.2 and get JNDI working, I used
the RPM found in the standard download area named
   - tomcat4-4.0.2-2.noarch.rpm

along with the dependent RPMs:
   - regexp-1.2-1.noarch.rpm
   - servletapi4-4.0.2-1.noarch.rpm
   - xerces-j-1.4.4-2.noarch.rpm

This should create the proper user for you and install
the proper init.d start/stop scripts.

I then replaced the tomcat4/ directory that the RPM
placed on my server with the jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2/
directory found in the GZip-TAR'd regular Tomcat
install base file named jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2.tar.gz
(e.g. non-RPM version) and configured JNDI as below
and things worked!!!   =)

I'm thinking that the proper libraries weren't installed
by the RPM or something in the install didn't go right???
Not sure what no-arch signifies in the RPMs above, but
maybe I was just using the wrong install????

I tried adding and replacing JARs, but I couldn't find
the right combo that would enable the JNDI resource.  It
was consistent as I couldn't create a mail JNDI resource
either.  If you replace the entire tomcat directory and
thus the proper JARs, you should get it working.....

Best regards,
---Ross