From: Chris Campbell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 6. mars 2002 04:12
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: ssl please help!

> Hello,
> is it possible to use ssl without having a
> certificate?(.keystore thingy)
> The problem is that the web application I'm making will be
> distributed, so
> it won't always be running on the same server name and
> therefor browsers
> will always point out the fact that the name on the
> certificate does not
> match the name of the site.. which will be terribly annoying
> for the users.

You need a .keystore to run Tomcat standalone with ssl support. You need a
certificate to run ssl in any way. For the different servers you have, you
could make self signed certificates for each of them, then the site name and
certificate would match. Although in this case the browsers will then warn
that the certificate is not issued by a trusted authority... which will be
terribly annoying for the users :)

ChrisC