we had encountered the same problem... the solution is
to clear the output buffer before re-directing the
page in case of errors, u need to put the following
out.clearBuffer();
before your re-directions...

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [TOMCAT-3.3
> JDK 1.3.1
> WIN 2000]
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a webapp that consists of various servlets -
> each of which is
> associated with one or more JSPs.  The way it works
> is that someone logs in
> (by calling a servlet which forwards them to the JSP
> form).  This servlet
> then processes the input and then (upon successful
> authorisation) forwards
> control to another servlet (which then displays
> another JSP and handles user
> requests from this JSP).  This servlet then
> processes the user requests and
> forwards control to the relevant servlet, which then
> forwards them to a JSP
> page.
>
> My application is working just fine, apart from the
> fact that I keep getting
> these annoying "IllegalStateExceptions".  Here is
> the full exception:
>
> 2002-03-08 11:20:55 - Ctx(/AgentGenerator) :
> IllegalStateException in R(
> /AgentGenerator + /servlet/Create + null) -
> java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Response has already been committed
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendRedirect(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.goToAddress(Home.java:163)
>         at

zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.processRequest(Home.java:120)
>         at

zeus.generator.web.controllers.Home.doGet(Home.java:131)
>         at

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
>         at

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Unknown