Greetings!

When I switched Web services provider six months ago, I explictely went to
one using Linux. I want as much control over my web site as possible. In
most cases (in my experience) what little configuration MIIS allows needs to
be done by the administrator, which is okay if all you want to do is drop
your files off in a directory and have things work. I wanted the level of
control that Linux naturally allows, including command line access to my
server (via ssh). My experience is that ISPs that have Windows do so
reluctantly because people insist on ASPs (which are not all that bad).
However, there is ASP support for Apache. Having to pay almost as much for
the OS as you do for the machine, is a good reason not to go with Microsoft.

If any ISP is going to use Apache, why bother with NT, if only for the
price? However, if you want as detailed configuration of your system as you
can get, then Linux is the way to go. At home I am completely Windows-free
and I have Windows 2K in WMWare on Linux at work. My opinion is that the
difference between Linux and Windows is like the difference between a TV
dinner and a 7 course meal. With Windows you plop it in and it works, but it
doesn't taste very good. Linux takes a long longer, but you can do with it
what you need to.

Which distribution of Linux you want is IMHO a matter of personal
preference. I use SuSE at home and work, and I am really impressed with how
easy the installation goes. It installs KDE by default, which is a problem
for those people who like GNOME better. I prefer KDE. If all you are worried
about is the web server, they all have Apache, so it really doesn't matter
(IMHO).

<shameful plug>
If you want step-by-step instructions on setting up a web server, you can
try the "UNIX Web Server Administrator's Interactive Workbook" from Prentice
Hall. It includes exercises, questions and answers, as well as an
introduction to HTML.
</shameful plug>

Regards,

Jim Mohr