This is not a question, but rather an answer.  After about three hours of
work this morning, I found out why my tomcat configuration (which worked
fine on my Solaris development server) was not working under redhat linux
7.2.

I use Tomcat with mysql and jdbc to do both authentication, and serve up
the data of my site.

The issue apparently has to do with how redhat configures mysql.  A user
must be configured in the mysql grant tables as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- NOT just as user@localhost.

Then, the normal mm.mysql driver, jdbc syntax works to connect to it just
fine.
Note that the jdbc syntax doesn't have to include the "localdomain", only
the mysql grant table.

Without that "localdomain" in the mysql grant table, the connection is
always refused.

Regards,
Paul Phillips